home | contact us

Friday, February 20, 2009

Twitter Me This

About a week ago I decided to dig further into Twitter, so I set up an account and started posting my tweets. You can find me at www.twitter.com/mistervann. My impressions after the first week? Why am I doing this? I've posted a total of 8 times and have shared the mundane such as: 1) that I was having breakfast with the girls; 2) that I am really beginning to like the Black Ghosts; and 3) that I was going to Panera for a bagel because I had a craving for it. I also tweeted about my disatisfaction with XM Radio's customer service. Sadly, I was not contacted by XM so it appears they are not following posts about themselves on Twitter. Perhaps that explains the lousy customer service!

I enjoy coming across some of Guy Kawasaki's thoughts that he posts. Of course, if he really thinks its important, he probably posts it on his blog which I do read everytime he writes. Other than that, I just don't see the point of this. Apparently, I'm not the only one not feeling the whole Twitter thing. The Daily Beast has a post on how Twitter has "jumped the shark" this past week. Venture Beat had a post last week about how Twitter receives half the press coverage of Facebook, but has only a fraction of the traffic. VB indicates all the press might be generated by journalists who are using Twitter to pump their own writing. Perhaps with the hope that if they talk about it enough, people will do it and validate their foresight.

I'll probably continuing on Twitter for a little bit longer, but my initial reaction to this is that Twitter will go the way of friendship bracelets, the pet rock, parachute pants and AOL. What are your thoughts about Twitter's value and long-term usage?

1 comment:

alias|solutions said...

Long term usage? I think it's a lot of work to keep up with, but there is intrinsic value in establishing a following and using it to find others talking on similar subjects. The key is to use the tools available, use it a a tool to link people back to the broader content you produce (ie blog, articles, website, etc). Guy Kawasaki had a great article in the last issue of Inc on how to quickly jump in and use Twitter, establish a following and maintain relevance. The thing is, it all takes time and you have to know your market and communicate what they are searching for. After all, MC Hammer doesn't have over 100,000 people following him because he was such an amazing dancer (even though he was).