home | contact us

Monday, September 8, 2008

Quick Hits

A couple of recent newspaper articles caught my attention, so I thought I would pass them along this morning.

In yesterday's New York Times, Thomas Friedman of the World is Flat fame, published an op-ed and the future of the US economy. Friedman makes some great points and they actually tie in quite nicely to an interesting book by John Kao entitled Innovation Nation about innovation that I am in the process of reading. Bottom line for Friedman and Kao is that for the United States to retain its position it needs to focus on continuous innovation within all sectors of the economy.


The other article that is worth a read is this one by Rob Weisman that appeared in yesterday's Boston Globe. The article targets the question of what is more important for leadership - youth and exuberance or age and experience. While it should be no surprise that Weisman's article didn't choose one or the other, I thought the article was interesting because it tied into a couple of the key points we made in our last post regarding criteria for choosing a successor.

I hope you enjoy the articles and have a good week.

No comments: